Spinach, Goat Cheese and Mushroom Mini Frittatas.
Serves approximately 12
¼ C. Sour Cream
4 C. Spinach, blanched & shocked
2 C. Mushrooms, sliced
½ C. Crumbled Goats Cheese
½ Onion, diced
1 T. Oil
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
2. Grease muffin tins.
3. Boil a pot of water on the stove. Fill a large bowl with ice water. Once water is boiling, submerge the spinach in the pot for approximately 20-30 seconds. Then take the spinach out and shock it in the ice bath. Take spinach out using tongs and then squeeze out the as much liquid as possible. Chop into smaller pieces spread out to dry further. Blot with a paper towel.
4. Heat up a medium cast iron skillet with oil. Toss in the onion and mushrooms. Sauté for approximately 10 minutes or until mushrooms a very tender and onions are translucent.
5. While mushrooms and onions are sautéing, crack eggs into a bowl individually one at a time, then add to the blender. Once all 8 eggs are in the blender, add sour cream. Blend for approximately 15 seconds. Eggs will appear light and fluffy.
6. Remove the sautéed veggies from the skillet and put into a bowl to cool. Add spinach at this point. After about 4 to 5 minutes, pour egg mixture into mushrooms mixture.
7. Mix with a spatula and pour the mixture into the muffin times about ¾ full per mold.
8. Crumble cheese on top and bake for approximately 15 minutes.
9. The eggs with rise like a soufflé when they are almost finished cooking. They will deflate shortly after.
10. Remove and let cool for about 5 minutes. Take a small angled metal spatula and separate the edges from the pan and gently lift the mini frittata away from the mold.
· Crack eggs individually before adding to other eggs. This allows the cook see the egg and check if there is anything wrong with the egg beforehand.
· About half way through the cooking process, turn the heat up to 375.
· Make sure to eliminate as much liquid as possible from the spinach and the mushrooms before combining the eggs with the veggies.
· Eggs are finished when the center does not appear runny and is slightly firm.